Facilities and Reservations
How to Reserve a Facility Online
- Go to: https://webtrac.southbendin.gov/
- If you have an account with us just login, if not then you will need to create an account. (See Below)
- Click "Search" on the blue tool bar, scroll down to "Facility" and click.
- Choose the Facility, Month and Year you are looking for and a Calendar will appear.
- You have to click on the word "Open" to choose the date.
- The next screen that pops up, fill in the "Headcount" and "Purpose", then click on "Add to Cart".
- Click "Ok" for the Alcohol Permit message to move forward.
- Review what's in your shopping cart and if all looks good, click "Proceed to Checkout" to finish or you may click on "Continue Shopping".
- Next is "Begin Checkout", choose the credit card type in the "Credit Card Type" field by clicking on the drop down arrow.
- Then click "Finish" and on the next screen fill in your credit card information, then click "Submit Payment".
- You will receive a receipt to your e-mail address.
*"Account" if you have registered for a class, event, or reserved a facility in the last fifteen years then you are in our system and have an account. To update your account or have questions, please call the O'Brien Office Monday thru Friday during business hours of 8am to 4:30 pm.
Use of Parks for an Event
The following procedures are those which must be followed to request the use of a city park for an event that is open to the public. This does not include reserving a picnic site or renting a pavilion. Please call 299-4765 to inquire for picnic reservations or use of a pavilion.
- A letter on your group's letterhead must be submitted. The letter must describe the type of event you wish to hold, the requested date and the park. This must be submitted a week before the schedule park board meeting.
- In addition, proof of liability insurance must be provided. The city requires a $1,000,000 per event policy naming the Board of Park Commissioners and the City of South Bend as additionally insured.
- A formal presentation must be made in front of the Park Board. (The board meets the third Monday of the month at 321 Walter Street, which is the old O'Brien School at 4:00 p.m.)
- Your request should be addressed to the Board of Park Commissioners, 321 East Walter St., South Bend, IN 46614.
- No Alcohol is allowed.
- No equipment is provided.
Rental of Park Facilities
Howard Park Recreation Center
604 E. Jefferson Blvd. • (574) 235-9428
The center is the perfect place for showers or other small gatherings of 40 people or less. Located conveniently downtown, the center has a scenic view of beautiful Howard Park and the St. Joseph River. The rental fee is $38/hr + tax with a three hour minimum. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at any event.
2801 Riverside Dr. at Boland Dr. • (574)299-4765
Pinhook Lagoon forms the scenic backdrop for this year-round facility. Want to hold a party, shower or wedding reception? Tables, chairs and a small kitchen are available to use. Alcohol is permitted, but an off-duty police officer must be present. Cost for the officer is not included in the rental fee. Rental fee is $50/hr (4 hr min.) or $450 plus tax for the day (10 am to 12am). A $100 security deposit and full payment is required to hold the date. The facility must be cleaned up and secured by midnight. You must be 21 and over to reserve this facility. This facility can only be reserved at the O'Brien Center, Monday-Friday 8 am to 4 pm. Click here for a copy of contract used to rent Pinhook Pavilion.
O’Brien Recreation Center
321 E. Walter St. • (574)299-4765 (Office hours: Mon-Fri 8 am to 4:30 pm, we stop taking reservations at 4 pm)
This center offers a gym with stage and meeting rooms for almost any occasion. Gym rental rates are $40 per hour with a 2 hour minimum. The center's boardroom can be rented for $38 per hour (two hour minimum) for meetings only.
O’Brien Park Pavilion
321 East Walter St. • (574) 299-4765
This open-air pavilion located in O’Brien Park has a grill and can accomodate up to 60 ppl. The pavilion is near a playground, splashpad, and plenty of open space. Alcohol is permitted with purchase of a $10 permit from our office during regular business hours, Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm . The site rents for $50 plus tax. This pavilion does not have electricity.
Newman Recreation Center
727 S. Eddy St. • (574)299-4765
This recreation center is located along the St. Joseph River, directly across from the Farmer’s Market. The gym is available for $40 per hour with a 2 hour minimum.
Greenlawn Ave. at Wall St. • (574)299-4765
Potawatomi Park has two covered open sided pavilions for rent which each hold 100 people, and one larger pavilion which holds up to 300 people. All pavilions include water and large grills. Reservations are accepted year round. The small pavilions cost $50/day plus tax and the large pavilion is $220, or $125 for half, plus tax. Alcohol is permitted with purchase of a $10 permit from our office during regular business hours, Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm. Picnic areas complete with tables and grills are also available for $10/day plus tax, each picnic area holds 50 ppl. A rough map of the park is available here.
Rum Village Park
Ewing Ave. at Gertrude St. • (574) 299-4765
Three open-air, covered pavilions are available for rent. Each holds about 80 people, and offer electricity and grills. The beautiful, rustic park offers an 18-hole disc golf course, a 10,000 sq. ft. playground, acres of walking trails and a nature center. Each pavilion rents for $35 for the day. Alcohol is permitted with the purchase of a $10 permit from our office during regular buisness hours, Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm. Reservations are accepted year round. A rough map of the park is available here.
Fellows St. at Wenger St. • (574) 299-4765
Large open-air pavilion with kitchen, restrooms & electric. The park features a playground, basketball court, playfield and water spray ground. The pavilion rents for $50 per day (kitchen is an additional $40). The kitchen is not availble during the months of June- mid August due to the summer lunch program. Alcohol is allowed with purchase of a $10 permit from our office during regular business hours, Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm.
Erskine & Elbel Golf Course Clubhouses
26595 Auten Rd. (Elbel) • (574)271-9180
200 Miami Rd. (Erskine) • (574)291-3216
Looking for a scenic location overlooking one of our beautiful golf courses for your small wedding reception or other parties for up to 60 people? Then check out the club houses at Erskine and Elbel Golf Courses. Both facilities are available for rent days, evenings or weekends during the off-season months of November through March. Rental rates are $38 per hour.
For Potawatomi, Rum Village, O'Brien & Southeast, the rental season is May 1st thru September 30th. You may reserve all year round online or at the O'Brien Center during regular business hours.
Wedding Reservation Policy
Wedding Reservation Policy
Below is a list of items that concern wedding policy
- The South Bend Parks & Recreation Department will make a concerted effort to have the area cleaned by the end of the work shift Friday before the event.
- Only the ceremony is allowed in the park. Receptions must be held elsewhere. We ask that a maximum 60 guests be in attendance.
- Parking is allowed only in the designated areas not on the grass.
- Being a public park, it is not possible to restrict the use of the site exclusively for your event. We normally do not have problems regarding people in the area, but you do need to be aware there may be people there.
- No chairs are provided. Canopies/tents are not allowed.
- No Alcohol is allowed.
There is no charge for the use of the park. You may decorate moderately, but please remove all items after the ceremony. Please feel free to call 574-235-5596 should you have any questions or concerns or wish to confirm your date.