Bowman Cemetery


In 1835, Mr. Jacob Bowman gave a half acre of the corner of his farm
for a burial ground intended for Dunkard’s or German Baptists. The
land once considered so far out of the town limits has been embraced by
neighborhood all around. The original tract has been enlarged several
times to its current six acre property. Bowman Cemetery was turned over
to the City of South Bend in 1957 when the private Bowman Cemetery
Association, established in 1876, could no longer maintain the property.
The view to the north from the entrance is of a terraced lawn.

Bowman cemetery consists of three distinct sections, and represents the
characteristics of a municipal cemetery. In great contrast with the
later circular lawn movement designs of City Cemetery, Bowman cemetery plats are very regular, with virtually no curved paths.

In section three are three round plats, located as opposite points in the
section. These round forms, particularly the middle one, were inevitably
designed to serve as visual landmark to direct the viewer and encourage
the walk-through. There are many towering trees on the property.
Separated from Bowman Cemetery by only a chain link fence is the
Rosehill Jewish Cemetery. The current is the second location of the
cemetery, as the graves were removed from their original location on the
property where Singer built its factories on Madison Street between
North Niles Avenue and the East Race in 1868.